Let’s understand our skin first
The appearance of our skin generally reflects the health and effectiveness of our overall health (Pullar, J., Carr, A., Vissers, M., 2017). The skin’s main and basic function is to keep us safe against barriers and other environmental issues. There are two layers, the epidermal outer layer, and the inner dermal layer. The epidermal layer is highly cellular and acts as a barrier from sun damage, pollution, and harmful bacteria. As for the inner dermal layer it provides strength and firmness to the first layer for it to function at its optimum level.Due to the skin’s constant exposure to the outer environment, it is more prone to issues like breakouts, sun damage, and dryness to name a few. In fact, the first visible signs of wrinkles, fine lines, pigmentation, and blemishes first show in the skin.
“The skin is subject to more insults than most of our organs.” (Pullar, J., Carr, A., Vissers, M., 2017)
As Juliet, Anitra and Margreet have written that normal skin already contains a specific amount of Vitamin C. This inherent ingredient supports important skin functions like - boosting collagen, hydrating and protecting against UV-induced photodamage.
Why is Vitamin C important for skin functioning?
The damage-reducing good properties of Vitamin C also known as ascorbic acid make it an important component of skin health (Michels, A., 2011). A normal skin constituent, Vitamin C is found in reasonable levels in both the levels of the skin. Its collagen synthesis ability is counted upon which makes Vitamin C a crucial addition to many beauty products.
Also, prolonged or excessive exposure to the outer environment can lower the natural levels of Vitamin C in your body (Michels, A., 2011). In that case, it can also be provided to the skin through topical application. The stability of Vitamin C in topical applications is a concern due to exposure to heat, air, and light. However, we can safely say that we use stabilized natural ingredients in all our products with Vitamin C and they are FDA approved.
When topically added, Vitamin C may help to slow down early signs of aging, prevent sun damage, and control dark spots and acne (Patel, P., Nathan, N., 2021). Studies have also shown that regular use of Vitamin C for 3 months had improved the appearance of coarse wrinkles on the face and neck.
- Sun damage and wrinkling - Sun damage is also known as oxidative damage which occurs for a prolonged time and can lead to early signs of skin aging. Here, Vitamin C supplementation or topical application has many beneficial effects in combating damage caused by the sun and other environmental factors. According to Alexander J. Michels from Oregon State University, Vitamin c has been quite effective in stabilizing collagen mRNA, which supports building healthy skin.
- Dry Skin - Dietary Vitamin C is also known to reduce the risk of dehydrated, dry skin (Michels, A., 2011). However, topical application of products containing stabilized Vitamin C such as Soulflower Vitamin C Face Wash or Vitamin C Serum when used regularly can hydrate the skin to its required level.
Soulflower Vitamin C Face Wash - Why and How do you need to use it?
Soulflower Vitamin C face Wash is a fast-acting, non-comedogenic, skin-reviving face wash that is gentle on the skin and super-refreshing. It also comes with a built-in brush that makes the product easy and simple to use.
Why do you need to use it?
- It has 0.5% stable Vitamin C which is safe on your skin
- 15% naturally derived botanicals and bioactives
- 100% Non-comedogenic, Hypo-Allergenic formulation
- Natural and gentle on skin
- Intensely cleanses and purifies
- Gives your skin a radiant glow
- Includes Vitamin C, Basil, Licorice, Green Tea
How do you use it?
- Wet your face and neck with water.
- Pump out the foaming face wash and massage gently all over the face and neck with the help of the built-in soft brush.
- Rinse and pat dry
Vitamin C is an essential part of our skin and its health. Its addition to your regular skincare routine will not only give it a constant and lasting glow but also reduce the risk of dehydration and dryness, sun damage early skin sagging. Lastly, the best effects of Soulflower Vitamin C Face Wash can be seen when layered with a toner like Soulflower Kumkumadi Toner and Vitamin C Day Cream.